Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summoned by Name

"But now thus says the Lord, HE who created you, O Jacob, HE who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you. (Isaiah 43:1-3 ESV)

How truly awesome to be called by God by name! To know that HE wants personal relationship with ME, unworthy as I am and HE will use any situation or circumstance in my life for HIS glory if I willingly allow HIM open access!

I recently found myself in a situation where I totally wanted to freak out and did not know what to do.  I found myself stuck between two people I care deeply for and wanted to fix the issues they were having with each other. Listening to each my heart went out and I did not want to be forced to choose sides. I could see both sides and realized where both believed they were right. What do I say? What do I do?  How can I fix it?

The great news is I prayed and stayed out of God's way. God put me in the situation where I could pray and that is all I was called to do! I planned out words of wisdom to speak truth when provided the opportunity and guess what? The opportunity never came! Before I had a chance to speak, before any of the gloom and doom I feared would come to pass happened, God acted and resolved the issue.  HE responded to my prayers. HE listened and HE acted.

At first I was astonished and then I stood amazed, a little disappointed that I was not the vessel to accomplish a great feat.  What power had been initiated simply through diligent prayer! Now I look to other areas of my life where I am stressed by what may.  Where I am trying to play god! What am I worried about? God has summoned me by name! Nothing escapes HIS eye and when I pass through the waters HE has promised HE will be with me. When I pass through the rivers they will not overflow me and when I pass through the fire I will not be burned, the flame will not consume me. HE has it all under control....do I trust HIM? Do I believe HIM? You bet I do!

One thing I have learned, I am not GOD and I do not know.  Honestly I don't want to.  It is truly beyond me to fix any situation and to manage people.  I think I will stick to what I do...pray and leave the rest to HIM.  HE alone is GOD Almighty!

Awed by a God who calls me by name,
Arla

2 comments:

AussieDiveGirl said...

I enjoyed this post!!! "It is truly beyond me to fix any situation and to manage people. I think I will stick to what I do...pray and leave the rest to HIM." Those are great words and reminders. I know I need to remember that I cannot fix anyone - only God has the power to do that, so I just need to pray and stop stressing over trying to fix them!!! Thanks for sharing, God bless! :)

Katrina V. Wylie said...

I love when God intervenes like that in a difficult situation. Great reminder of how praying releases the power of God in situations we aren't sure how to handle. Thanks for sharing.